When you play slots at online casinos, you will often find that there is a choice between slots that offer low, medium and high variance. Simply put, the variance of the slot relates to whether there is a high or low risk associated with it.
To give yourself the best chance of walking away from an online slots machine as a winner, it makes a lot of sense to try and figure out the variance of the slot machine you are playing.
- Low variance slots
- High variance slots
- Can you determine the variance of a slot machine?
- Best low to medium variance slots
- Best high variance slots
- Does playing a demo version help to determine slot variance?
- Which variance of slots should you play?
- Casinos offering a good choice of high & low variance slots
Low Variance Slots
Statistically, if you’re playing a low-variance slot with a $100 bankroll over 240 minutes you will have a smooth ride. Every once in a while you will win some money but your bankroll will decrease very slowly. Big wins aren’t impossible, but it is a statistical outlier. On average, these types of games can be played for a more extended period but your chances of winning are lower as well. Hence why low-variance slots are preferred for wagering casino bonuses. See our list of best low to medium variance slots.
High Variance Slots
The fluctuations on a $100 bankroll over 60 minutes on a high-variance game on the other hand is more volatile and unpredictable. You may initially start out with a series of losses followed by big wins. Over a longer period of time the casino will always have the edge, but you definitely have a more substantial chance for a high win if you are seeking to maximise a shorter playing time. See our list of best high variance slots.
Can you determine the Variance of a Slot Machine?
Here is how:
- Ratio of wins – when looking at the paytable, it is important to note the ratio of wins to the various combinations.
- Level of payouts – Try to determine the level of payouts for getting 3 or 4 of the same icon in a winning combination, and then compare this to the amount you would receive for getting a 5 icon combination.
- Larger difference – if the amount you would receive for a 5 icon combination is around 10 times more than you would expect to receive for a 3 or 4 icon combination, chances are you are playing a slot with a high variance.
- Smaller difference – for low variance slot machines, there is usually a smaller difference between 3 and 4 icon wins, and 5 icon wins.
Does playing a Demo Version help to Determine Slot Variance?
Most online casinos give you the chance to play their slots with virtual money, and this is a great way of getting a ‘feel’ of how the slot machine works. Here is why:
- It is also a good way of determining if the slot machine you are playing has a high or low variance, without the risk of losing any real money.
- The great thing about using this method is that the slots play in exactly the same way in demo mode as they do when you are using real money.
- After playing a slot in demo mode for a little while, you should take a note of your virtual funds. If you used up all of your funds in a short amount of time, or you hit a big win but lost on nearly every other spin, chances are, it is a slot with a high variance.
- If, however, you have kept most of your money, and you have won smaller amounts on several occasions, you are probably playing a slot with a low variance.
Which variance of slots should you play? Are you more suited to Low or High Variance Slots?
- The amount of money you have at your disposal will determine whether you should play high or low variance slots as explained below.
- The amount of time you have to play each slot machine will go a long way to determining whether you should opt for a low or high variance machine.
- If you have enough funds to cover lots of losses then a high variance machine is more suitable to you.
- If you have the money to wait for the machine to pay out a big jackpot, it could very well be worth the wait in the long run.
- If you have a smaller budget and plenty of time to spend on playing slots, a slot machine with a low variance will be better for you.
Casinos offering a good choice of High & Low Variance Slots
- Claim $1600 over 4 deposit match bonuses
- Many deposit options incl; Visa, PayPal, Neteller, Interac
- Super Fast cash outs and 24 hour customer service
- The "home of Jackpots"
- For Slot Junkies, it doesn't get better than All Sots
- Generous new player sign-up offer of $1500
- Play slots directly from your mobile device or PC
- Enjoy the thrills and join today!