- The game's low-value symbols are neon-hued A, K, Q, J and 10 card suit icon which pay out 1x for 5 on a payline.
- Iconic African wild animals make up the higher value symbols that pays as follows: The panther and lion pay out 5x for 5 on a payline The hyena and giraffe pay 3x for 5 on a payline The zebra and meerkats pay 2x for 5 on a payline
- The Free spins symbol is a half sun, half-moon with the word 'scatter' written across it and it activates the free spins feature.
- The wild is a golden sunrise and stands in for any standard symbol, paying out 50x for 5 on a payline.
Lion spins + Panther spins
Throughout the game, whenever a lion or panther symbol appears on the reels, they will be added to corresponding counters on either side of the game grid. Every 12 spins, the game switches to the daytime for lion mode and after dark for the panther. On the 12th spin, your symbols that have accumulated in the counters will be unleashed on the reels, creating standard combinations, with added awards if they land on top of each other or on top of wild symbols. It works as follows:
- If a panther or lion symbol lands on the opposite symbol, it transforms into a wild.
- If either the lion or panther symbol lands on a matching symbol, or a wild, the symbol multiplier increases by 1x.
- After the 12th spin, the counters and multipliers reset to zero.
Getting 3 or more scatters anywhere in view triggers the free spins and you immediately score 12 freebies. There are additional benefits, conditional upon how many scatters you have:
- 3 scatters give you none of your collected symbols, setting you back to zero.
- 4 scatters allow you to enter free spins with all of your collected symbols.
- 5 scatters hand you 5 extra lion and panther symbols, over and above your existing tally.
The collection of lion and panther symbols happens the same way during free spins as it does in the base game, but once the 12th free spin happens, the game ejects both sets of symbols onto the reels, possibly giving you a grid full of wilds and multipliers which could translate into you winning the game's highest possible payout.
Paid Free Spins
If you have deep pockets and a short stack of patience, the Serengeti Kings slot game gives you the chance to buy your free spins, rather than wait for the scatters that would normally trigger them. The option gives you the effect of 3, 4 or 5 scatters for over 50x, 80x and 240x your stake, in that order. Considering the high cost of this feature, you should use your discretion before opting to use it.
It is hard to fault the overall execution of the Serengeti Kings slot. The visual and auditory design combines to create something pleasant and exciting at times. The constant presence of the lion and panther spins provides regular breaks from the monotony of spinning. The game has a decent RTP of 96.7% and volatility that veers towards high, meaning the pace is fast enough to keep your pulse slightly elevated. This is an all-round good effort from NetEnt with only the low-value payouts for standard symbols and the frankly exorbitant cost of purchasing free spins stepping in to dampen proceedings a bit. This is a title that you will find easy to come back to as there is enough here to keep you going and entertained for a while.